90 Days Forward
The reputation, relationships and employees of the Minnehaha County State’s Attorney’s Office have been damaged. This plan is a blueprint of how, in my first 90 days in office, I will change the direction of this office. As the first Republican elected to this office in over 30 years, I will prioritize public safety and fiscal responsibility.
- Immediately start restoring relationships with stake holders such as citizens, the State Bar, community organizations, businesses, law enforcement, and the press.
- Utilize a regular mode and method for sharing information with the public. This will include information on arrests, convictions and trends.
- An informed public enhances our ability to fight crime.
- Implement proven methods to reduce repeat offenses and tailor these methods to Minnehaha County.
- Initiate utilization of effective case management software to streamline work flow and reduce attorney burden.
- Coronavirus has required us to rethink how to perform the same work in an innovative and versatile way. Moving away from paper files is essential.
- Consider each plea bargain as an opportunity to negotiate on behalf of the community.
- By viewing each agreement and plea bargain as an opportunity we can tailor case outcomes to benefit our community.
- Complete a thorough budget review to ensure each tax payer dollar benefits the community.
- Establish a formal mentorship program for attorneys and support staff.
- The people in the Minnehaha County State’s Attorney’s Office are a valuable resource. Investing in them will greatly benefit the community.